How do you face your giants in these challenging times? “Today, your ‘Goliath’ doesn’t carry a sword or a shield. He brandishes blades of unemployment or abandonment or depression…” observes Pastor and bestselling author, Max Lucado.
Many people are facing huge obstacles, hardship and grief and Max offers a Biblical perspective to such hurdles. In his book, Facing Your Giants: God Still Does the Impossible, Max shares five ways God can equip you to face your giants in life. “All you need is five stones” he says.
Five stones to face your giants
Like David gathered five stones to prepare to slay Goliath, so God gives us five ‘stones’ to help us face the huge obstacles in our way.
- The stone of the Past – remember the victories God has given you previously. God has helped us in the past and He will do so again.
- The stone of the Prayer – In God’s Kingdom we have to go low before you can go high. God calls us to come before Him in prayer before we go into a battle.
- The stone of the Priority – David had a different priority. He never mentioned anything about Goliath, but he talked a lot about God. Make God’s name your priority.
- The stone of the Passion – David ran towards his giant. When is the last time you ran towards your problems rather than away from them? Be passionate about overcoming!
- The stone of the Persistence – David took five stones because Goliath had four brothers! He was persistent, he was never going to give up!
These are five essential elements in dealing with a giant. Embracing them will help you to live a peace-filled life focused on God. Watch the video below to find out more. Filmed at the beginning of the Pandemic it takes us back to the difficulties of Lockdown, yet the timeless truths Max Lucado shares will stand you in good stead long after Covid-19 has gone.
“The Bible tells us that for 40 days, morning and evening the Philistine giant strutted in front of the Israelite army. Your’s does the same,” Max says. “But the God who helped David is here to help you! You face your giants by facing God even more so.”
About Max Lucado
Max Lucado is the preaching minister of Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas. He has been described as “America’s Pastor” by Christianity Today magazine. In addition to his preaching Max is known for his poetic storytelling and homespun humor. His books have sold millions of copies in over 50 languages.